Important Documentation All Landlords Must Have

*Collaborative Post

Being a landlord involves organisation and planning skills. It is important to familiarise yourself with the legal requirements and ensure you have all the necessary paperwork. Below you will find key documents that you will need as a landlord regardless of whether you have one property or a diverse portfolio.

Energy Performance Certificate

Before you can let a property, you will need to obtain a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). The purpose of this certificate is to rate the efficiency of the energy in your property. Then, you must include it in all advertisements for potential tenants to view.  The ratings range from A as most efficient to G as least efficient. Since 2018, a property must be rated E or higher in order to be put on the market.

‘Right To Rent’ Check

You are required to check that potential tenants have the legal right to rent your residential property in the UK. It is essential to record information which has been obtained during the verification process. If a tenant is found to be an illegal immigrant, you will need to be able to prove you have taken every action to confirm their status. For more information on how to perform a check, read this useful guidance.

Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)

Landlords must ensure that thorough inspections of electrical installations and appliances are carried out. An Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) offers a comprehensive overview of the electrical installation within your property performed by a qualified engineer. Trade Facilities Services work with landlords by providing EICR testing to ensure properties are electrically safe and compliant with the latest government regulations.

A Gas Safety Certificate

If you are letting a property with gas appliances such as a hob or oven, a registered gas safety engineer must check the gas system every 12 months. You will obtain a certificate and a copy must then be provided to the tenant. In a House Of Multiple Occupancy (HMO), this needs to be displayed in a communal area. Failure to comply with these requirements could result in a strict penalty such as a fine or imprisonment.

Fire Risk Assessment

In accordance with the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) you are obliged to identify any potential hazards in the property and minimise the risk of injury. It would be advisable to have a qualified fire safety professional conduct a risk assessment on your behalf. It is best practice to conduct these checks at least once a year. You will need to be prepared and take precautions which can reduce the likelihood of fire. Consider looking at this fire safety guide for more information.

Tenancy Deposit Protection

If you are providing an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, you are required by law to hold your tenant’s deposit in a government-approved Tenancy Deposit Scheme. You can have the deposit registered with either Deposit Protection Service, MyDeposits or Tenancy Deposit Scheme. You will need to supply your tenant with details of the scheme within 30 days. At the end of the tenancy, the deposit must be returned within 10 days.

Spread the love